background

Monday, March 15, 2010

First Fish


So, Kendal absolutely loves to fish. Give him a free hour and he'll grab his pole and hit the nearest patch of water. He grew up fishing with his Papa and with his parents; some of his best childhood memories were spent on the water. From the time we were married, Kendal talked about taking our kids on outdoor adventures (Hello, we have a son named Camper!). In fact, for Kendal's first Father's Day gift, I bought him a purple and yellow children's fishing pole. As the twins were born on Father's Day, I grabbed the pole from the back of my closet and gifted him with it as we raced out the door at 3a.m. headed to the hospital - I am not one to tarry in gifting a gift!

But I digress... Sunday was a wonderful Spring day - sunny and mild, full of endless possibilities. After a post-church family nap, we headed out for our first family fishing trip. Kendal bought some crickets ("dead man chirping" I thought sadly as we drove to the lake...), packed the snacks and drove us to our friend Tim's house for a little fishing. Tim and his wife Betty have an amazing log cabin on a small lake, the perfect getaway. They are so gracious to allow Kendal to fish there as often as he likes and they've now opened their home to our entire family. Brave folks!

I was not looking forward to the experience, but I have to say... it was a perfect afternoon. The twins were so well behaved! They cast their little poles into the lake with ease and only got themselves caught on fishing line a few dozen times :) They enjoyed their "catch of the day" (i.e. a box of Goldfish) on the dock when they got tired and just enjoyed being outside. Kendal has trained two new fishermen! Evie was a doll as she chilled in her carseat, content as always. We are so grateful to our friends for letting us spend some time on their lake and welcome Spring to Arkansas!

From Collages

No comments: