This is going to be a bit melodramatic, but bear with me - those who know how much Kendal and I love animals will surely understand!
Last week was pretty terrible for our family, but I am so glad my parents and sister were in town to help us with all the drama. On Monday, our fiesty family dog of 5 years, Maggie, attacked sweet Jackson while Kendal and I were at work. Unprovoked, out of the blue. We've had issues with her in the past (very type A, dominant dog) but always hoped she would love the kids and protect them. Unfortunately, this was not the outcome. My sister literally pulled the dog off of Jackson - he was bitten pretty badly on his face but thankfully it was not worse. Kendal and I are so grateful to Anna for her quick action - I can't imagine what would have happened if she had not been so brave. My parents acted quickly in grabbing and loving on Jackson and simultaneously calming down a frightened Carlisle.
Kendal and I immediately took Jackson to the doctor, where he received a bunch of stitches in cheek and face. We are so grateful for our doctor and friend, Aaron Ward, who was completely calm and collected despite a screaming child and bawling mom. Kendal stayed remarkably calm as well, and just held Jackson as he cried.
So, our Christmas photos feature Jackson with stitches! We had to make the very hard decision to put Maggie down after what happened - we hated to do it and I still cry over the decision but it was the right and safest thing to do. Jackson has been wonderful with our other dog, Gabby, as well as Nana and Papa's maltese so thankfully he's not transferring this experience into a fear of animals. He has always been so trusting and loving with animals so we're relieved he is not too scarred by this experience. Praise to God that Jackson is safe and recovering quickly. These precious children are truly Kendal's and my whole world and we are so thankful that the Lord has protected them this past week.
No comments:
Post a Comment